In order to truly understand the complexity of the Danube Delta, it is not enough to read these words, but you have to visit this vast wilderness, to take a boat trip amid tangled mangrove canals and peaceful lakes and to listen to the nature’s sounds while strolling along the wild river banks. Only then you will realize the richness of this Romanian natural treasure, so called the birds and fish heaven.
An ecosystem so important, we have to preserve it for the generations to come in the same shape it is nowadays.
Here you will get to see all the Europe’s wetland plant species, which create a diverse array of habitats: natural floating islands, seasonally submerged riverbank mangroves and reeds, marine and river sand dune ecosystems and salt pans. This area is the most important resting place for the migratory birds between tropical and arctic regions, five of the main migration routes merging here.
The most exotic ecosystem in Europe with over 1830 plant species, 2440 insect species, 320 birds, 133 fish, 91 mollusks, 44 mammals, 11 reptiles and 10 amphibian species. Many of them are unique to this place and are protected for their global importance.
* First stop will be Enisala Citadel, one of the most beautiful in Romania, three hours from Bucharest. Be prepared for breathtaking scenery from the top of the hill where the Genovese walls are guarding the surroundings.
* Once we reach the entrance in the Danube Delta, we will take a boat transfer to the beautiful guesthouse which will host us for 6 nights
* Traditional lunch, approx. 1 h
* Afternoon- a 60 km (4-5 hours) boat tour through the river canals, surrounded by water lilies, swans, pelicans and many other species
* In the evening we will stimulate our senses with the tastiest traditional food, cooked with local products, including many types of fish
* 9:30 we will embark in speedboats for an 8-hour adventure in which we will reach the Danube’s endpoint- Sulina
* We will visit the Old Sulina Lighthouse which nowadays functions as a museum
* The Sailor’s Graveyard- a unique cemetery, in which people of 21 nationalities are resting
* Musura Gulf- a lagoon situated in the Black Sea, created by the alluvium deposited by the Danube’s branches, and representing the everchanging border between Romania and Ukraine
* We’ll sail along the strip where Danube’s waters merge with those belonging to the Black Sea- a true natural spectacle
* We’ll pass by the Old Lighthouse, the weather station, the New Lighthouse and the Sulina shipwreck- few spectacular local landmarks
* We will serve the lunch in a traditional household, tasting some of the local fish dishes
* We will go ashore on one spectacularly wild beach where we will have a swim
* We will embark again for returning to the guesthouse where our hosts will welcome us with the tastiest food and plenty of fine white wine
Letea Village and wild horses
* We will visit the fishermen village of Letea, situated near the wild horse reservation (the only one in Europe). Here the “Delta mustangs” roam the wild secular forests of Letea reservation, which is the northernmost exotic forest ecosystem in the northern hemisphere according to WWF (World Wild Fund)
* Afterwards, we will embark in another boat trip on the tangled canals, visiting among other beautiful places, the Ceausescu Villa (a building which once belonged to the former communist leader of Romania)
* On the way we will also visit the water lily reservation, the Pelicans nest reservation and the Swan nest reservation
* Several traditional fishermen villages
* Traditional lunch in a Lippovan household. Lippovans, also called “old believers” are Russian settlers, which came in this region mostly in the 19th century, bringing with them their cultural heritage, which remained almost unchanged over the centuries.
* In the afternoon we will embark in horse carts for a safari trail in the wild forests of Letea, in the search for the wild horses
* On the way we will visit the sand dunes reservation
* In the evening we will get back to the guesthouse for a special dinner
Sfantu Gheorghe Village
* Boat tour on the Saint George canal, to the mouth of the Danube river
* We’ll explore by boat this wild place, landing in Saint George village, a small fishermen settlement, for having the lunch in the most renowned traditional household from the area
* This time we will go Safari in 4x4s, for 15-20 minutes on the sand dunes, until we reach the Black Sea
* A short stroll on the beach, reaching the place where Danube’s water merge with the Black Sea’s waves
* If the weather is fine, we will bask under the sun for couple of hours, swim and have fun
* In the evening we will return to our guesthouse for the traditional dinner with fish and white wine
* A wildlife boat tour in which we will get to the heart of the delta, with Caraorman village as destination, where we will spend the rest of the day
* We will pass through the Cormorant reservation and the Birds’ Paradise
* In Caraorman we will visit the glass factory which only functioned for two days during the communist era
* We will go on a 4x4 trip to the Caraorman sand dunes
* Traditional lunch in a local household - tasty fish sour soup and other specialties
* Afterwards, we will visit two old oaks which are proven to be 400 years old
* The Kneeling Oak- one of the most beautiful landmarks in Dobruja region. Here it rises the oldest and the loftiest tree of the entire Delta. Some 30 meters tall and 4 meters wide, it is also the largest in the region.
* We return to the guesthouse and we enjoy the Danube Delta sunset from the boats
* We head for Gura Portitei, a wild spot, completely isolated among the largest complex of freshwater lakes Razim - Sinoe and the Black Sea. Access can be made only by crossing the vast tracts of freshwater. A fascinating place, ready to be discovered.
* We cross the Golovita Lake by boat and reach Gura Portitei
* A 2h walk on the wild beaches
* Lunch at the local fishery
* 2h free time for sunbath and swimming in the Black Sea
* We return to the guesthouse, crossing the Lake Golovita by speed boats
* Dinner at the guesthouse
History in Dobrogea
* The first stop is at the Halmyris Citadel, a strong Roman and Byzantine fortress, headquarters of some military units and a station of the Classis Flavia Moesica Danube Fleet, of which only a few ruins remain, but with a very interesting story.
* Next stop will be at the Argamum Citadel, a fortress located above the only rocky cliff in Romania, on the shore of Lake Razim, the largest freshwater lake in Romania
* Fish Lunch in a traditional household
* Short trip to the only rocky cliff in Romania from where you can shoot the incredible panorama
* A short walk on the shores of Lake Razim, from where you can take spectacular pictures with the natural formed rocks
* Next, we will visit the Histria Fortress, the best-preserved Greek citadel in Dobrogea. Here you will be able to admire the landscape surrounded by the Lake Sinoe.
* Return to Bucharest
What is included in the price:
- 4 nights guesthouse accommodation (single and double rooms)
- 2 meals/day (breakfast and dinner at the guesthouse). We can also offer alternatives for other types of diet
- Lunch in traditional households
- All the activities presented above
- Two professional tour guides (fluent English speaker), rangers, local guides and support staff for the activities
- English guided tours for the entire period
- Pick up from any city in Romania
- Transfer from and to the hotel
- Transport with bus or mini-vans for the entire duration of the adventure – fuel included.
What is not included in the price:
- Extra accommodation nights. Optionally, depending on the flight schedule, we can arrange extra accommodation with extra costs regardless the city
- Entrance tickets to all touristic attractions
- Airport transfers
- Flight tickets (optionally we can reserve the flights)
- Alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages
- Other personal spending
- Sometimes, some of the places we intend to visit may be closed at that time. But don’t worry. We have prepared tourist attractions at least as interesting as the previous ones.
- We can organize this tour from April to October.
- The tour can be customized depending on the number of days you have available.